Types of hosting services
A hosting solution appertains to saving and/or sharing specific content on a hosting server handled by a web hosting distributor. There are different kinds of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's take a glimpse at them. Thus, you can decide what you want, on the basis of whether you'd like to build a web portal, e-mail address accounts, or to share files with friends and associates.
- File hosting: a service supplied by particular vendors, which lets you share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting services often involve adverts beside the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a certain amount of time to perceive them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting retailers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a totally awry interpretation of the real denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would split the tasks at hand between separate bunches of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending different web hosting services (mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is only a kind of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given vendors offer a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting variant is good if you want to share a vast amount of images with chums or acquaintances since the service is typically free of cost. You will get a random link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a service committed to administering your emails. Some firms provide website hosting solutions for websites, but do not offer an e-mail service. If you want to set up an email address with your domain name but do not desire to have a site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you need. You can set up email accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video file, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip brings about a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a few videos and several hundred web page visitors, you may have difficulty with your webspace hosting resources. Embedding the video file will permit you to use as many videos as you would like without worrying about system resources.
- Web site hosting: this is the solution that you require if you wish to keep a web site. To some degree, it includes all of the aforementioned hosting categories since, along with your web sites, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and e-mail accounts, upload video files, etc. At Lonex, for example, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated hosting services that enable you to get all of the aforesaid services in one place. There may be restrictions depending on the kind of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the customary e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are tailored for specific web content exclusively.